Saturday, April 24, 2010

Smoked Porter (Beer World, Sunnyside)

Rain is a pain, especially in New York City. Maybe it doesn't rhyme nicely, but it did drive us back to local and trusty Beer World in Sunnyside. Their vast selection never ceases to disappoint, though when your choosing at random you're bound to be disappointed with your own selection.

Enter Stone's Smoked Porter. Despite its badass gargoyle and promising name, the porter failed to even remotely live up to its promise of a smooth blend of chocolate, coffee, and "peat-smoked specialty malt". To start with, the head on the pour is massive. Although I've seen excitement over this, in reality it proved to be nuisance as I had to wait a full 5 minutes before I could drink it. This is a porter, not a stout. If I wanted the pour to be an art, I would have picked up something much darker, drier, and more expensive. The Smoked Porter has delusions of grandeur, and I ended up finishing it out of the bottle.

The taste only further added to my frustration. The porter is a smooth blend of malt and chalk balanced with the subtle character of dish water. To be fair, I was able to finish it thanks to the sheer complexity of its taste, so it manages to squeak out a 2 out of 5.


If you want to try it based on the label, I understand. Do yourself a favor, though, grab a six pack of something else too. You're going to need it while you wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment